A guide for the path to becoming a Senior Patroller (formerly Senior Auxiliary) or a Senior Alpine Patroller: Ohio Region Senior Flowchart
“The Senior Program is designed to provide a forum in which patrollers can enhance personal skiing/snowboarding and toboggan-handling proficiency, improve their ability to manage OEC-related problems and expand their overall patrolling knowledge and skills. In addition, the program prepares patrollers for leadership roles within the NSP”
The Senior Program consists of core elements and elective requirements that must be completed successfully. The program encompasses Alpine (ski and snowboard), Nordic and OEC disciplines and have appropriate variations in required elements for each. Training is an essential part of the program. Senior Patroller candidates are expected to spend a significant amount of time reviewing senior criteria and using the required knowledge and skills to practice scenarios on challenging, senior-level terrain under various conditions in the patrolling environment as well as in Emergency Management (OEC). Senior Patroller candidates, who do not aspire to either an Alpine or Nordic discipline, are required to complete the Aid Room Module (ARM), which is administered under the OEC program in the Ohio Region.
Senior Patroller candidates are responsible for maintaining their own records of clinics and courses attended and completed. The Ohio Region Senior Program Advisor maintains each Senior Patroller candidates core requirements along with their senior program and clinic applications. The Senior Program Advisor makes this information available to advisors, clinic instructors, patrol directors, and the candidates.
Below are the dates of each Senior exam, along with the requirements to test.
Skiing Module (February 24, 2018 – PNS)
- Sign-offs from PSIA Level 2 or Higher
- 2 sign-offs – Recommended to be obtained on Senior Rated Terrain
- Perfect North Slopes or Boston Mills
- Event Application and Sign-Offs must be Submitted 2 weeks prior to the Test – Deadline February 10, 2018
Toboggan Module (February 24, 2018 – PNS)
- Sign-offs from a Senior Rated Toboggan Evaluator
- 1 Sign-off – Recommended to be obtained on Senior Rated Terrain
- Perfect North or Boston Mills
- Event Application and Sign-Offs must be Submitted 2 weeks prior to the Test – – Deadline February 10, 2018
OEC Module (February 25, 2018 – PNS)
- Sign-off from Senior Trainer/Evaluators
- Basic OEC Skills
- Lead 4 Senior Rated Scenarios (Level 5/6)
- 2 open-ended answers to Scenarios in Ski Patrollers Manual
- 1 New Written Scenario
- Event Application, Scenarios, and Skills Sign-Off must be Submitted 2 weeks prior to the Test – Deadline February 11, 2018
Aid Room Module -ARM (February 25, 2018 – PNS)
- Another Component of OEC module (Needed for Senior Patroller Status [Formerly Senior Auxiliary])
- ARM occurs same weekend as SROEC, but is a separate exam.
- Event Application must be Submitted 2 weeks prior to the Test – Deadline February 11, 2018.
Download the CD Senior Manual The Division Manual contains all the information and requirements for the Senior Program. It also contains the necessary Sign Off forms and Score Cards from which you will be evaluated. A guide for the path to becoming a Senior Patroller (formerly Senior Auxiliary) or a Senior Alpine Patroller: Ohio Region Senior Flowchart
Ohio Region Senior Applications
Application to JOIN the Senior Program:
If you would like to enter the program, please download an application. Read the application carefully and follow all directions, noting deadlines. Email or mail the printed application to the Senior Program Advisor.
Submit a New Senior Candidate App Online
This app must becomp. A copy will be emailed to your PR for Approval must be received by the Ohio Region Senior Advisor, ONE MONTH before the test you plan to take. Be sure to allow time for your PR to respond by email.
Application to TEST for Senior:
If you are already in the senior program and would like to register for a scheduled Senior Program Test, visit the Ohio Region Events Sign-up page. There you will find all of the Senior Program events, from ski or toboggan prep clinics to the actual testing sessions.
Application for testing May be coming Soon. This process may be changing, stay tuned.
This app must be filled out and submitted to your Patrol Director for their approval. Upon approval and completion of the required sign-offs, this application must be sent to the Ohio Region Senior Advisor, TWO WEEKS before the test you plan to take.
Central Division Sign Off Forms
- Senior Ski/Board Sign Off Forms (Must receive two sign-offs from a Level 2/3 PSIA
- Senior Toboggan Sign Off Forms (Must receive one sign-off from Senior rated toboggan evaluator)
- Senior OEC Sign Off Forms (Must receive from Senior Trainer/Evaluator)
Once you have completed your Senior components and achieved your Senior status, fill out the Core Activities and Electives form.
This form must be submitted to your Patrol Representative for their signature and mailed to the National office:
NSP National Office, 133 South Van Gordon Street, Suite 100, Lakewood, CO 80228
For more information, contact Tracy Buchanan, Senior Program Administrator, email@example.com